CLE350: The archaeology of ancient Nubia...
In ancient Egyptian ideology the inhabitants of the gold-rich lands to the south of the First Nile Cataract were barbarians predestined to be dominated by Pharaoh and a people from whom nothing could be learned. Unsurprisingly, the reality was quite different. Not only was Nubia the place of origin for complex state societies that at times rivalled those in Egypt, but Nubia and its diverse populations were to have profound long-term effects on Egyptian culture and society.
Archer's thumb ring made of black and white diorite, which was excavated by the Liverpool Institute of Archaeology, directed by John Garstang, at Mero (cont.)
A red sandstone offering table with incised decorated on the top face. The table is roughly in the shape of the ḥtp-hieroglyph. Two tall vessels are d (cont.)
Stone square/hetep shaped offering table from tomb 362 at Meroe. Traces of a Meroitic inscription.
Part of a blue glazed ceramic tile depicting a shrine. The shrine is surrounded by uraei and crowned by double-feathered sun-disks of Amun. It was fou (cont.)
A sa sign. It is made of pottery with a greenish glaze. It was purchased by Wellcome in 1930. The sa sign is a hieroglyphic symbol meaning protection, (cont.)
The head of faience figure of lion deity, perhaps Apedemak. It has a hole in the top of its head, presumably for insertion of a headdress. There are t (cont.)
Approximately ten copper alloy model tools, some in pieces. One piece, in the top right in the photograph has gold leaf on it. The accompanying card c (cont.)
An inscribed sandstone fragment, which functioned as an abacus in the temple designated M291 at Meroe. It contains a Meroitic inscription of the Meroi (cont.)
A piece of sandstone showing part of a head, graffiti, and cursive inscriptions. It is from the steps in the Temple of Amun, spot 275 at Meroe. It joi (cont.)
A fragment of pottery with a pale blue, yellow, and black glaze. This seems to represent a headdress, although the piece seems too thin to have part o (cont.)
Inlaid eye from a wooden coffin. Copper alloy (bronze) frame with white (ostrich egg?) shell inlay. The pupil is now missing, as is part of the metal (cont.)
Inlaid eye from a wooden coffin. Copper alloy (bronze) frame with white (ostrich egg?) shell inlay. The pupil is now missing, as is the inner corner o (cont.)
A black pottery bowl with a triangular patterned rim. It was purchased by Wellcome in 1920.
Archer's thumb ring made of red granite, which was excavated by the Liverpool Institute of Archaeology, directed by John Garstang, at Meroe in 1910. G (cont.)