Glazed ceramic




This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.

Description

A fragment of pottery with a pale blue, yellow, and black glaze. This seems to represent a headdress, although the piece seems too thin to have part of a statue unless it was attached to a separately formed statue. It was found with a group of other objects under the floor of the sanctuary of the temple of Amun at Meroe in 1910. These items probably date to the Twenty-fifth Dynasty and were part of a votive deposit. It was purchased by Wellcome in 1922 from the collection of the Reverend William MacGregor.

Bibliography

Garstang, John 1911. Meroë, the city of the Ethiopians: being an account of a first season’s excavations on the site, 1909–1910. Oxford: Clarendon Press. [p. 15, pl. 10.1] Török, László 2002. The image of the ordered world in ancient Nubian art: the construction of the Kushite mind, 800 BC–300 AD. Probleme der Ägyptologie 18. Leiden; Boston; Köln: Brill. [pp. 314–315]

Wellcome Number
A13608
Other Identity
7 (round white sticker)
Auction
Sotheby, Wilkinson, & Hodge: 26 Jun–06 Jul 1922, Lot 1321
Previous Owners
Rev. William MacGregor (1848–1937) | Sir Henry Solomon Wellcome (1853–1936)
Excavation Details

Excavated by John Garstang at Meroe in 1910.

Acquisition
Long-term loan, The Wellcome Trust (15 Feb 1971)
Last modified: 13 Aug 2022

Back | Feedback about this object