Fragment of a tile



Accession Number
EC401
Current Location
House of Life (first floor), Egypt and its Neighbours
Object Type
Architecture, Architectural decoration, Tile
Period
Late Period
Dynasty
Twenty-fifth Dynasty
Material
Faience
Provenance
Nubia, Meroe
Measurements
Height: 79mm | Width: 54mm | Depth: 28mm
Number of Elements
1
Culture
Nubian

This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.

Description

Part of a blue glazed ceramic tile depicting a shrine. The shrine is surrounded by uraei and crowned by double-feathered sun-disks of Amun. It was found with a group of other objects under the floor of the sanctuary of the temple of Amun at Meroe in 1910. These items probably date to the Twenty-fifth Dynasty and were part of a votive deposit. It was purchased by Wellcome in 1922 from the collection of the Reverend William MacGregor.

Bibliography

Garstang, John 1911. Meroë, the city of the Ethiopians: being an account of a first season’s excavations on the site, 1909–1910. Oxford: Clarendon Press. [p. 15] Török, László 2002. The image of the ordered world in ancient Nubian art: the construction of the Kushite mind, 800 BC–300 AD. Probleme der Ägyptologie 18. Leiden; Boston; Köln: Brill. [pp. 314–315]

Wellcome Number
A13606
Other Identity
W285 (previous number) | 11 (white sticker with number written)
Auction
Sotheby, Wilkinson, & Hodge: 26 Jun–06 Jul 1922, Lot 1321
Previous Owners
Sir Henry Solomon Wellcome (1853–1936) | Rev. William MacGregor (1848–1937)
Excavation Details

Excavated by the Liverpool Institute of Archaeology, directed by John Garstang, at Meroe in 1910.

Acquisition
Long-term loan, The Wellcome Trust (15 Feb 1971)
Last modified: 08 Aug 2021

Back | Feedback about this object