Fragment of a sandstone statue



Accession Number
EC1304
Current Location
In storage
Object Type
Architecture, Architectural element
Material
Stone/minerals (Sandstone)
Provenance
Nubia, Meroe, Temple of Amum
Measurements
Height: 219mm | Width: 295mm | Depth: 75mm
Number of Elements
1

This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.

Description

A piece of sandstone showing part of a head, graffiti, and cursive inscriptions. It is from the steps in the Temple of Amun, spot 275 at Meroe. It joins with UC44568 in the Petrie Museum.

Bibliography

Garstang, John (1911) Meroë, the city of the Ethiopians: being an account of a first season's excavations on the site, 1909–1910. Oxford: Clarendon Press. [pp. 70–71, pls. XIX.2, LXVIII (13)]

Other Identity
5
Previous Owners
John Garstang (1876–1956) | Sir Henry Solomon Wellcome (1853–1936)
Excavation Details

Excavated by John Garstang within the Temple of Amun at Meore between 1909–1910.

Acquisition
Long-term loan, The Wellcome Trust (15 Feb 1971)

Language
Meroitic
Script
Meroitic
Last modified: 02 Mar 2021

Back | Feedback about this object