Accession Number
Current Location
In storage
Object Type
Architecture, Architectural element, Stela
Middle Kingdom
Thirteenth Dynasty
Stone/minerals (Limestone)
Height: 365mm | Width: 180mm | Depth: 131mm
Number of Elements
Multiple fragments

This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.


Fragmentary limestone stela in sunk relief, which was purchased by Wellcome in 1907 from the collection of Robert de Rustafjaell. Restored at Cardiff (2022), although numerous additional fragments, many of which contain no decoration, remain to be placed. This stela was complete when catalogued by William St Chad Boscawen (c. 1907–08) while in the Wellcome collection (entry 1360). Based on his description, it was divided into four registers. At the top, two wadjet-eyes flanked the shen-sign. In the second register, there are six lines of hieroglyphs introduced by the offering formula. The owner of the stela is identified as the Chief of Tens of Upper Egypt, Dedusobek, whose father was the Governor, Horemkhawef, and his mother the Mistress of the House, Bebi. In the third register, Dedusobek is seated on the left before a large table of offerings. His daughter, Sathathor, is depicted in front of him holding a lotus. In the lower register, three further family members are depicted. His son, the Attendant, Khuniwtef, is on the left, and another son, Sahathor, in the centre, both of whom face a woman holding a lotus who is identified as a Mistress of the House. The reading of her name is not clear. This stela might belong to the same Dedusobek, son of Bebi, which was discovered at Edfu (Alliot 1935, 30, pl. XVI.3). This might suggest that EC1848 is also from Edfu, or the surrounding region. Stylistically, it dates to the Thirteenth Dynasty. It is unknown when this stela of Dedusobek was broken, but since around 50% of it is now missing, it is likely to have been before the Wellcome collection arrived in Swansea in 1971. Perhaps the remaining fragments went to one of the other museums that received Wellcome material and await identification


Alliot, Maurice 1935. Rapport sur les fouilles de Tell Edfou (1933). Fouilles de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale 10 (2). Cairo: Imprimerie de l’Institut français d’archéologie orientale.