- Accession Number
- Current Location
- House of Life (first floor), Drawers beneath stelae, Drawer 2 (Handling tray 2)
- Object Type
- Tomb equipment, Coffin/sarcophagus/cartonnage, Coffin clamp
- Graeco-Roman Period
- Metals/alloys (Copper alloy) | Metals/alloys (Iron)
- Egypt, Armant, Baqaria
- Length: 142mm | Width: 72mm | Depth: 8mm
- Number of Elements
A coffin clamp, of copper alloy, second century AD from Armant cow burial 13. The Baqaria, in which the cow was found, was the resting place of twenty-eight tombs for the mothers of the Buchis bull. It was excavated by the Egypt Exploration Society, 1929-1931. Most burials at the Bucheum had between twenty-one and twenty-three clamps. Twenty-two clamps were specified in the 'Apis Papyrus'. A board was used and the bull or cow placed on top. Clamps were placed into the board of each side of the animal. Linen bandages were passed across the animal and held down by means of the clamps.
Mond, R. and Myers, O.H. 1934. 'The Bucheum' London: Egypt Exploration Society pages 59-60.
- Last modified: 08 Mar 2022