- Accession Number
- Current Location
- House of Life (first floor), Temporary exhibition space
- Object Type
- Tomb equipment, Coffin/sarcophagus/cartonnage, Coffin clamp
- Graeco-Roman Period
- Ptolemaic Period
- Ptolemy II
- Metals/alloys (Copper alloy)
- Egypt, Armant, Baqaria, Tomb 13
- Length: 155mm | Width: 56mm | Depth: 7mm
- Number of Elements
A coffin clamp, dating to the second century AD from Armant cow burial 13. The Baqaria, in which the cow was found, was the location of twenty-eight tombs for the mothers of the Buchis bull. It was excavated by the Egypt Exploration Society 1929-1931. Most burials at the Bucheum had between twenty-one and twenty-three clamps. Twenty-two clamps were specified in the 'Apis Papyrus'. A board was used and the bull or cow placed on top. The clamps were then placed into the board of each side of the animal, and linen bandages were passed across the animal and held down by means of the clamps.
Mond, R. and Myers, O.H. 1934. 'The Bucheum' London: Egypt Exploration Society pages 59-60.
- Last modified: 30 Sep 2022