Pottery jar



Accession Number
AB88
Current Location
House of Life (first floor), Predynastic case
Object Type
Receptacle/vessel, Jar
Period
Predynastic Period
Naqada III
IIIB
Material
Pottery (Marl)
Provenance
Egypt, Tarkhan
Measurements
Height: 235mm | Maximum Diameter: 103mm | Rim Diameter: 102mm | Base Diameter: 95mm | Height of Maximum Diameter: 235mm | Vessel Index: 43
Number of Elements
1
Culture
Egyptian
Vienna System
Marl A

This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.

Description

A cylindrical pottery jar with a flat base, rolled rim, and raised scallop patterning near the rim. Such vessels date from the Predynastic to the Early Dynastic Period. They are made from Marl clay, which needs a higher firing temperature that Nile clay. It was excavated by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt at the site of Tarkhan during the 1911–12 season. The object was gifted to the University of Wales, Aberystwyth by John Bancroft Willans, a subscriber of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt, who received the object in 1912, and was subsequently gifted to the Egypt Centre in 1997.

Munsell Chart reading

Interior (core): 2.5YR 4/6 red | Surface: 10YR 7/3 very pale brown | Exterior: 10YR 6/4 light yellowish-brown

Bibliography

Petrie, W. M. Flinders, G. A. Wainwright, and A. H. Gardiner 1913. Tarkhan I and Memphis V. British School of Archaeology in Egypt and Egyptian Research Account [23] (19th year). London, Aylesbury: Hazell, Watson and Viney, Ld. [pl. XLIX]

Other Identity
CA104 (Aberystwyth number written on the base in black ink)
Previous Owners
British School of Archaeology in Egypt | John Bancroft Willans (1881–1957) | University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Excavation Details

Excavated by the British School of Archaeology in Egypt at the site of Tarkhan during the 1911–12 season.

Acquisition
Gift, The University of Wales, Aberystwyth (24 Mar 1997)
Last modified: 01 Dec 2022

Back | Feedback about this object