- Accession Number
- Current Location
- House of Life (first floor), Metalwork case
- Object Type
- Implements and utensils, Warfare, hunting and fishing equipment, Axe
- Second Intermediate Period
- Seventeenth Dynasty
- Metals/alloys (Copper alloy)
- Length: 147mm | Width: 30mm | Depth: 23mm
- Number of Elements
This socketed axe dates to the Hyksos Period. It was purchased by Mr Starkie in Palestine 1932-1933. See 'Pharaonen und Fremde. Dynastien im Dunkel' 1994 Wein p185-187 for similar axes which seem to date from 1700-1600 BCE. This type of axe was particularly useful for piercing armour. Such weapons are found in Palestine and come to Egypt through Hyksos influence. Purchased by James Leslie Starkey, on behalf of Wellcome, in Palestine in 1932–33.
'Pharaonen und Fremde. Dynastien im Dunkel' 1994 Wein p185-187.
- Last modified: 27 Mar 2021