Pottery vessel



Accession Number
W1046
Current Location
House of Life (first floor), Predynastic case
Object Type
Receptacle/vessel, Jar
Period
Predynastic Period
Naqada II
Material
Pottery (Marl)
Provenance
Egypt, Hierakonpolis, Fort cemetery, Grave 137
Measurements
Height: 69mm | Maximum Diameter: 56mm | Rim Diameter: 35mm | Base Diameter: 27mm | Height of Maximum Diameter: 35mm | Vessel Index: 81
Number of Elements
1
Culture
Egyptian

This image may be used under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) license. For uses not covered under the Creative Commons license, or to license images for commercial uses, please contact the Egypt Centre.

Description

A small Marl clay ellipsoid jar (classed as a D-ware vessel) with a rolled rim, flat base, two tubular handles, and red-painted decoration. The base is also painted. It can be dated to the Naqada II Period. This vessel was excavated from grave 137 within the Fort at Hierakonpolis in 1905 by John Garstang (Adams 1987, 140), and was purchased by Wellcome at auction in 1922 (lot 98) from the collection of Ralph Brocklebank. The current opinion is that D-ware vessels originated in Upper Egypt in the Naqada-Abydos area. It has been suggested that designs like this imitate stone vessels. For an overview of the ideas surrounding the origins of D-ware vessels, see Aksamit (1998) 36–7. The Hierakonpolis fort is a large mudbrick enclosure built during the Second Dynasty. While its function remains a mystery, it seems to be connected with king Khasekhemwy.

Munsell Chart reading

Exterior: 7.5YR 6/3 light brown; (decoration) 10R 4/2 weak red

Bibliography

Adams, Barbara 1987. The fort cemetery at Hierakonpolis (excavated by John Garstang). Studies in Egyptology. London; New York: Kegan Paul International. Aksamit, Joanna 1998. The D-ware from Abusir el-Meleq. In Eyre, C. J. (ed.), Proceedings of the Seventh International Congress of Egyptologists, Cambridge, 3–9 September 1995, 31–38. Leuven: Peeters.

Wellcome Number
A15176
Other Identity
F137 (excavation number written on the side in black ink)
Auction
Christie, Manson & Woods: 05–06 Jul 1922, Lot 98
Previous Owners
John Garstang (1876–1956) | Ralph Brocklebank (1840–1921) | Sir Henry Solomon Wellcome (1853–1936)
Excavation Details

Excavated by John Garstang from grave 137 within the Fort Cemetery at Hierakonpolis in 1905.

Acquisition
Long-term loan, The Wellcome Trust (15 Feb 1971)
Last modified: 10 Feb 2022

Back | Feedback about this object