Lantern slide. Showing the Island of Philae. This photograph was taken by Sgt. Johnson of the 436 Welsh Field Company c. 1917. It formed part of a lecture which he gave. The notes from his lecture read 'The Island of Philae is situated at the head of the First Cataract some two miles above the barrage. It is 500 yds long from north to south and 160 yards from east to west...The island is almost covered with temples, and courts and ancient construction of one kind or another. The temples are flooded each year from December to about April and during this time one may visit them by boat, passing through the Kiosk and into the temple of Isis....' This is a similar view to negative EC1704.