Lantern slide. Showing the Island of Elephantine. This photograph was taken by Sgt. Johnson of the 436 Welsh Field Company c. 1917. It formed part of a lecture which he gave. The notes from his lecture read 'Here we have the Island of Elephantine which extends for about a mile and a half...One of the most recent finds in recent years was made in 1907. Immediately behind the rest house a chamber was discovered in which were several small stone sarcophagi and on opening they were found to contain the mummies of the sacred rams of Khnum of the Ptolemaic Period....'. This view is similar to EC1750.
- Last modified: 09 May 2020